Thursday 5 April 2012

The speed of communications and 24 hour news

Unfortunately the mobile data signal is still down which is frustrating but the satellite phone enables me to contact anywhere in the world within minutes subject to a clear view of the sky and the orbiting satellites. 

Climbing and high altitude are dangerous arenas to put oneself in and there will undoubtedly be some news of accidents or incidents to report during our expedition. 

 Prior to starting the blog I had set one rule in stone and that was to delay the reporting of accidents/incidents by a minimum of 48 hours. There can be nothing worse than for somebody reading something on the Internet before being informed about it first. 

You may say I shouldn't be reporting anything at all or perhaps I should wait longer than 48 hours? Overall I don't think we can air brush out the bad news. I will though avoid giving names or details that might enable identification of those involved. 

Two days ago whilst we were over at Pheriche and after the first 10 minutes of the high altitude talk a young teenager unfortunately had an epileptic fit. He was part of a uk school trip and I'm sure by now his family will have been informed. According to the leader there was no prior history on his medical declaration form. I'm pleased to report that the lad recovered quickly and suffered no injuries thanks to the prompt and expert care of the doctors who were giving the talk. 

These doctors come from all over the world and voluntarily give their time for free. I'm pleased to say that our camp will apparently be adjacent to the medical centre that they man.

No comments:

Post a Comment