Wednesday 25 April 2012

A long night

After dinner last night which consisted of soup, Dahl Bat, and tinned fruit I was tucked up in my sleeping bag at seven thirty. Breakfast was at nine o'clock this morning! I decided to do some emails to my family before dropping off to sleep.

The sunlight struck the tent at around eight o'clock and we woke to find the tent covered in frozen condensation. I've had dryer kit sleeping in a snow hole! At least there you know you're going to get wet. By 8.30 it was too hot in the tent so I clambered out of my soggy sleeping bag (thankfully still warm) to the mess tent for a welcome cup of tea.

Just before 9.00am we were all up for breakfast which consisted of porridge (I've decided I really don't like porridge and now just call it 'calories' especially with the amount of sugar I put on it to make it bearable!). This was followed by beans on toast which was ok but everything, understandably, is served on metal plates, bowls and mugs for durability. The draw back is that food gets cold pretty swiftly.

At about 10.15am we set off up through the rest of Camp Two to see which other teams are currently here. Bearing in mind the number of teams at BC it's not surprising that Camp Two is spread out in a similar manner. 

We're in the lower section of Camp Two which is where Jagged Globe have traditionally camped. It's meant to be slightly less windy and less avalanche prone. Having said that the hanging glacier behind us looks pretty huge! An advantage is that is saves half an hour on the walk from Camp One.

The views from the top of Camp Two are stunning. What look like near vertical impenetrable walls of ice and rock form the head of Western Cwm (also known as the Valley of Silence). Somehow our route picks its way up the Lhotse face, across the Yellow Band and the Geneva Spur (evocative names to anyone who has read any of the numerous accounts on the South side of Everest). Whilst I can see the summit towering ominously above (another 2450m higher) from the rear of our tent we still can't see the South Col from where we will launch our summit bid.

I've taken a picture looking back down the Wester Cwm. Our tents are the red ones on the right and the wide open glacier leading down to Camp One is on the left.
I'm sorry the quality isn't great but I'm limited by the reception on the satellite phone. The trouble is the satellites are orbiting around the earth all the time and the phone only gets a limited view of them from within a deep valley often for only a couple of minutes at a time. I need to be able to download everything at once otherwise I have to start all over again. Sometimes I can wait over half a hour to get a long enough connection.

My sleeping bag is now hanging over the top of our tent drying nicely.

I'm pleased to say feeling much better today after yesterday however I did take an Azetazolamide last night as I had a slight headache. It's seems to have done the trick.

All in all a nice day at Camp Two.

4 comments:

  1. Wow keep 'em coming Ian! I've been reading these postings with great interest!

    I'm gripped - thought I should just post a little encouragement...

    I am roughly the same age and you are actually doing what I have always wanted to do....alas a little unexpected heart trouble has put paid to that! (I might one day get to base camp perhaps!)

    Anyway stay safe(ish)! and remember the piccies are bandwidth-expensive but worth every bit!!


    Do take care up there!!

    MS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, glad your enjoying the posts.
      Kind regards
      Ian

      Delete
  2. Hi Ian
    I have just had Lucy tell me how to send you a message - i am such a technophobe!!so may here a bit more from me as i am rivetted.
    You are getting to the more exciting ( and testing) time so i hope you can revel in the views and your achievements when you're not too knackered!Dhal bat and porridge - haute cuisine up there i see!!
    Hope your spirit is good .There is lots of talk about you back home so lots of people thinking of you
    Best wishes matey
    Andy Foster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, thankfully not too much Dahl Bat!! Cheers Ian

      Delete