Saturday 14 April 2012

Big Mitts

This morning we went into the lower reaches of the icefall again and practiced our jumaring and abseiling. Pasang and Mingma had set up a course over the seracs that we each had to complete three times wearing different sized gloves. The last being big mitts. Trying to grip your ascender or screw a karabiner closed with these on is nye on impossible!

Just after lunch Jeremy appeared at the door of the mess tent bearing gifts. Well actually a couple of things my parents had sent out (a bottle of whiskey would have been better!). He also kindly brought me some chocolate. I suppose it's only right that I give him a plug. He is without doubt the best optician in the South West. Look up Jeremy Savage Optometrist, Tiverton. (I was going to put a quip in here but that would be little what I've just said. I just take the free spectacles!)

He and his friend Rob had left Lobuche at 7.00am this morning to reach BC. Needless to say Jeremy looked out of breath much as we did when we first arrived a week ago. Rob had decided not to come to our camp instead choosing to return with their guide to Gorak Shep where they will be spending the night. They hope to climb Island Peak and Lobuche peak in the coming week or so.

I've spent the afternoon preparing my kit for tomorrows early start (4.00 am!) as we venture further into the icefall before the temperature rises too much. If I remember I'll switch on my Spot2 so you can see how far we get. We should be back at BC by 11.00am Nepalese time so you'll probably all still be in bed!!

It was Cians' birthday yesterday and Adam did a fantastic job of preparing an excellent chocolate cake with hot chocolate sauce.

Last night we watched 'Killer Mountain'. If you thought Cliffhanger and Vertical Limits are poor climbing films this film is postively dreadful. It just makes you wonder where people get the money to make such third rate rubbish - mind you we watched it!!!

Well that's it for another day except to say its snowing very heavily at the moment with snow sliding off the sides of my tent like mini avalanches. The upside is perhaps it won't be too cold when we get up tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. I presume it was socks and handkerchiefs from Mum & Dad, as they are the traditional presents. If it was anything else then I think you are getting special treatment!

    All the best,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete